Friday, October 21, 2011

A what warning?

Before filling you in on Friday, 21 October...  Today we had a good rest and awoke to early morning light.  I turned on the living room light and television.  Upon flipping through channels, I was notified of the local weather forecast and a tsunami warning.  There were no details at first and I started Google Earth to see where we are in respect to the sea.  We are at a towering elevation of nine meters.  At least we are across the street from hospital.  A subsequent announcement shows the offending earthquake to the northeast of the north island.

Yesterday was productive.  Tara and I made a trip to the supermarket in the morning.  Food costs are higher than in the States, but the meat is very pretty.  Yams are small and orange-red.  Tara did not venture to buy any as yet.  I had a brief meeting at Southland Hospital to sign some papers and get additional information on our flat and loaner car.  We drive (and walk) on the left in New Zealand.  There is a law, not yet rescinded, in which a car turning right opposite a car turning left has the right of way!  Go figure.  I also asked about work attire.  Casual is the way to go.  Ties are rare and I was told I would stand out were I to wear a white coat.  I was shown the senior doctors' parking lot, the residence (on-grounds) of the chief medical officer, shown where my office will be and briefly met the woman who will serve as my secretary.  I also dropped off my MRSA screening tests.

The hospital visit was brief and I was home in an hour.  Tara and I ate soup and then went out to get my IRD number.  This is a tax number similar to a social security number.  I found the office fine, but a notice on the door stated we needed to call for an appointment.  We went inside and called the number.  I was advised that for $10 NZ we could go to a NZAA office (the local AAA) and fill out an expedited application- getting my number by phone in two business days.  Monday, October 24th is Labour Day, a holiday.  While at AA, the staff member was very helpful (a common trait in New Zealand) and helped us transfer our US AAA membership while in New Zealand.  She also gave us maps of Invercargill, the south island, and Queenstown- a warmer coastal city two hours to the north.  Later, when we buy a car, we can get insurance through AA and qualify for a lower rate if we get New Zealand driver's licences.

We then went to one of the banks to open an account.  We were worked in on the spot by yet another very helpful person and were done in about forty minutes.  We also learned that insurance, including renter's insurance, can be bought at the bank.

Tsunami warning cancelled at 8:32 a.m. local- Yay!

We saw Queen's Park briefly while going to/from AA.  It looks beautiful.  Three more trips wound up our chores.  I bought a multi-function printer.  Electronics costs are similar to the States.  Furniture, in another part of the store, are another matter.  Gulp!  We then stopped at the green grocer.  The carrots were beautiful.  Tara got cabbage for supper to go with the lemmon-pepper Hoki (fish) we got earlier.  She also got tips on preparing the local yams, but did not buy any.  The proprietor refers to the hospital, with its physicians of varied origins, as the United Nations.  We got home and Tara began cooking.  I went out for forgotten items (and still forgot salt).  By seven p.m., we were both tired.  Instead of staying up to watch Whales versus Australia (television versus local pub in walking distance) we went to sleep early and got up thirteen hours later.

For today, Tara and I are going to do something we have not done in several weeks- go to the cinema.  We will see the new Johnny English movie (love Rowan Atkinson) walk around a bit and eat and then return for The Three Musketeers in the afternoon.

If you want to see our flat, one of four at this address, use Google Earth to look at 146 Kew Rd., Invercargill, New Zealand.  The white roofs behind are the place we park.

No comments:

Post a Comment