Sunday, October 23, 2011

The morning after

No spoilers!  For my slugabed family and friends in the States, who have yet to watch the Rugby World Cup, I will defer any comments on the match or its outcome.

Earlier I posted that we had visited Queen's Park, but I was mistaken.  We were in Otepuni Gardens.

Tara and I made it to Sunday services and then spent a quiet day at home before going out to a nearby restaurant and pub.  They are adjacent to each other and only a couple of blocks from our flat.  Supper was quite good.  I had Toad in the Hole, which as far as I can tell is the same as bangers and mash- sausages and mashed potatoes with green beans and peas.  They had me with the name.  After dinner I had a short black, a small cup of very strong coffee.

We then saw the entire rugby match from the adjacent pub with several local fans, a large satellite TV screen,  and many varieties of brew on-tap.   Apparently one can bring children to a pub here and there was off-site betting as well with smaller screens showing horse races.  One could also play pool or darts.  There was an outside area with a roaring fireplace.

Tara just cleared off breakfast and I am finishing my tea.  The sky is blue and partly cloudy.  Threatened gale force spring winds have not materialized.  So far there have not been any clear nights for star gazing.  Later we will go for a walk in Queen's Park.  We have reviewed travel brochures for the area and have the prospect of several local weekend hikes and excursions in the months to come.

Tomorrow I go for an orientation day at work.  Wednesday, I begin work in earnest.

No comments:

Post a Comment