Wednesday, December 21, 2011

On the town

I have yet to tire of the food selection in the Southland of New Zealand.  Two nights ago, Tara and I went to H.M.S. Kings for supper.  This was our first visit to this restaurantwhich features a variety of fish.  Tara had Blue Cod- as we often do.  I had the special- Monk fish, wrapped in bacon on seasoned potato wedges.  I cannot recall if I've ever had Monk fish.  It was meaty and quite good.  I had a glass of Hawke's Bay Chardonnay.  Tara was pleased with her cod.  For dessert, we split a three-scoop sorbet (tart lemon, lime and raspberry).

After supper we went to Queen's Park for Christmas carols.  This is an annual event, coordinated by the Y.M.C.A. with a band on the rotunda and a group leading several traditional carols.  Families bring chairs.  Children have balloons and Southland flags and all have candles.  We chatted with a man we met at Tara's church and a lady we know from the "Y".  It is nice to be able to recognize people in the community after less than two months.  The songs put us in the Christmas spirit- even if it stayed light until after ten p.m.

Tonight, Tara was very brave.   I noticed that at the Bombay Palace restaurant, all curry dishes are $12 (NZ) on Wednesday.  Our last experience with Indian food, years ago in Washington D.C., still burns bright in our memory.  Tara must have said no at least three times (I felt compelled to tease her about going).  Later, after observing many people going in, she volunteered to try it.  We both had a spinach curry- mine lamb and medium heat, hers beef and mild.  I liked mine and would probably go with hot next time. I'll be having most of Tara's for lunch- not her favorite.

Tomorrow is movie/date night.  Last week I got my movie loyalty card- yay!  I also got my library card and am limited to fifty items at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment